AGO Calls It Quits on Probe Into Website

By webadmin on 10:21 pm Jun 01, 2012
Category Archive

The Attorney General’s Office has ended its investigation into the procurement process involved in the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights business registration website, known as Sisminbakum.

“I received a report that the case has been closed,” Attorney General Basrief Arief said in Jakarta on Thursday.

AGO spokesman Adi Toegarisman said later in the day that the case was dropped because the fees charged by the website were not state revenue, meaning the state did not incur losses in the case.

The case came to light in 2008 after reports surfaced that the company operating the website had pocketed 90 percent of the revenue that had been generated by online company registrations.

Seven suspects, including former Justice Minister Yusril Ihza Mahendra and business tycoon Hartono Tanoesudibyo, were named in the case. The court convicted and jailed four of the suspects. Three of them were later freed by the Supreme Court on appeal, with the fourth is awaiting a decision from the high court.

The AGO failed to find enough evidence to bring to court Yusril, Hartono and another suspect, Ali Amran Djanah, an official at the ministry.

Yusril said the AGO should have ended the investigation long ago. “After the Supreme Court found three of the defendants not guilty, the case should have been dropped,” he said.

He expressed regret that innocent people had to go to jail because of what he called the AGO’s stubbornness.

Antara