Choosing to Take Control of Your Career
When you realize that everything in your life is a choice, you will feel free. As it turns out, nothing is forced upon you. You may not have a lot of decision-making power in your big company, but you still have your freedom of choice.
For example, you can choose the attitude you wear every day. You can choose how you perceive the problems and challenges in your workplace. You can choose to clarify your dreams or not. You can choose to be optimistic or pessimistic. You can choose to have self-confidence, or self-sabotage. You can choose to feel motivated or demotivated. You may not be able to control what happens to you, but you always have a choice to choose your response.
Unfortunately, many people are not aware of this power. They become slaves to their emotions and let themselves be controlled by their anger, disappointment, frustration, stress, bitterness, hate, etc. What they may not realize is that not choosing to take control is also a choice.
So, what do you need to choose in order to start taking control of your career?
1. Choose your goals. Read my last week’s blog post “Finding Your Passion at Work — Is It Possible?” for more explanation.
2. Choose your attitude. Positive and negative thoughts cannot exist in the same space. You choose with which you would like to fill your head.
3. Choose to be organized and directed. Time is money. Don’t waste it doing things that won’t get you to where you want to be.
4. Choose your friends and environment. Hang out with people who will fuel your growth, not bring you down with their negativity.
5. Choose your habits. Notice your patterns of behavior. Not all of them are useful; not all of them are efficient. What can you do faster? What can you stop? What do you need to start?
Start choosing. More on choices later.
Coach Cynthia is the owner of ActionCOACH South Jakarta, a business
coaching firm that helps business owners create a profitable &
autopilot enterprise. For more information
on how her team of coaches can help you, go to www.acsj.co.id.
blogs by Coach Cynthia, go to http://idecidemycareer.wordpress.com