Dozens Injured in Thailand Hotel Pool Chlorine Leak
Bangkok. More than 30 people, many of them foreign tourists, were rushed to hospital Saturday on the Thai resort island of Phuket after a chlorine leak at a hotel swimming pool, local officials said.
The accident occurred shortly after 10 a.m. at the Phuket Orchid Resort and Spa hotel on Karon beach, according to chief investigator Lieutenant Colonel Chavalit Pethsripia.
He said more than 30 people suffered minor injuries after they were exposed to an unhealthily high level of chlorine in the pool.
The leak caused skin irritation and sore eyes, according to director Phumin Silapan at the local Patong hospital.
“There are 37 people hospitalized, including 26 foreigners,” he said, adding that 12 had already been discharged while 25 were referred to a larger hospital.
One of those referred was a pregnant tourist who had breathing difficulties after inhaling the chemical, he said.