National Anti-Drug Movement to Keep Targeting Corby
The National Anti-Drug Movement has filed an objection against a decision by the State Administrative Court to reject its lawsuit against a decision by the president to award a five-year sentence cut to Australian drug smuggler Schapelle Corby.
Lawyers for the movement, known as Granat, revealed on Wednesday that the court’s decision had been handed down on July 4. The court ruled that that granting clemency was the right of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono as head of state.
“The court has rejected our lawsuit, so we filed our objection to the same court today,” Maqdir Ismail, Granat’s lawyer, said on Wednesday.
He said that his clients would wait for the court to make a decision on whether the administrative requirement for a retrial has been met.
“We have argued our objection that the court should examine how the clemency was issued, not merely that it was the president’s right. In the process, the president could have violated some procedures or laws,” Maqdir said.
Justices found Corby guilty in May 2005 of smuggling 4.2 kilograms of marijuana into the country and was sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Denpasar District Court.
In May this year, the president trimmed five years off of Corby’s sentence, putting her on schedule for a September 2017 release, and possibly earlier if she gets paroled.
Maqdir insisted that only people who had plead guilty should receive sentence reductions. He insisted that Corby never admitted what she did or apologized for her actions.
Anotherlawyer for Granat, Yusril Ihza Mahendar, claimed that the decision to slash Corby’s sentence contradicted the government’s policy of taking a strict line on graft, drugs and terrorism, all of which are defined as extraordinary crimes in Indonesia. He said he feared that the decision would set a bad precedent for the country in its fight against drugs.
Others accuse Yudhoyono of bowing to pressure from Australia.