Transjakarta Bus Hits 13-Year-Old on Motorcycle
A 13-year-old boy was seriously injured after he was hit by a TransJakarta bus on Sunday, highlighting the lax enforcement in keeping the capital’s dedicated busway lanes free of traffic and pedestrians.
Tuti, a witness, said the incident took place at 10 a.m. in front of Central Jakarta’s Hotel Grand Cempaka. “The little boy was riding his motorcycle and got hit from behind,” she said.
Adj. Comr. Antoni Wijaya, from the Central Jakarta Police traffic accident unit, said the boy suffered a serious head injury and was rushed to Cempaka Putih Islamic Hospital.
“The bus was driven by Kusdiharto, 61,” the officer said.
“According to the driver, the bus was empty and about to fill up at the refueling station in East Jakarta.”
Police are investigating whether the boy was riding in the dedicated busway lane, which would constitute a traffic violation, or if the bus driver, who witnesses said was driving speedily, was at fault.
TransJakarta head Muhammad Akbar confirmed that the driver was in police custody.
“We have received an oral report and we are waiting for the details. According to our procedures, we will first help the victim,” he said, adding that the company would cover the boy’s medical expenses.
“We will assist the victim’s family,” he said. As for the driver, TransJakarta “will accompany him in the legal process.”
Sunday marked the latest of several similar incidents in the last month, with two prior cases involving pedestrians who were struck by TransJakarta buses.
In a bid to curb accidents, Jakarta Police and transportation officials plan to install 30-centimeter-high barriers to TransJakarta lanes, given that the current 10-centimeter barriers are frequently ignored by motorists.
Officials have also proposed upgrading Jakarta’s pedestrian crossings and street lights.