Minister of Defense Purnomo Yusgiantoro on Wednesday denied reports that a cooperation project between South Korea and Indonesia to develop the Korean Fighter Experiment (KFX) combat airplane was canceled, saying that it was merely put on hold until the new government in South Korea was settled.
“Regarding the KFX, there are no such things as canceled or failed. It is true that it is being delayed because they are still in a transition government,” Purnomo told journalists at the presidential office.
He said that the new government in South Korea needed time to settle in before it can resume the project and reiterated Indonesia’s commitment to take part in the development of the combat airplane.
“Whatever South Korea is developing, we are taking part, taking a 20 percent share,” Purnomo said.
The Defense Ministry earlier this month said that Seoul had decided to delay the project by 18 months.
Indonesia and South Korea in August 2012 signed an agreement to start a research and development program to develop a next-generation fighter aircraft.
Under the agreement Indonesia will pay up to 20 percent of the $5 billion development costs while the rest will be split 60:20 between the South Korean government and the country’s Agency for Defense Development and manufacturer Korea Aerospace Industries.